Domain Name Scams & Small Businesses


Many business owners know that internet marketing can be very beneficial for the company's bottom line. Business website and blogs are going up every day - and the scammers know it!

We are all well aware of spam and phishing scams clogging our email inboxes. Now, at least one outfit is trying to scam businesses of all sizes via snail mail.

My office, along with many other businesses, received a piece of snail mail that at first glance appeared to be renewal for a website domain name I own. The title of the letter is "Domain Name Expiration Notice". Included prominently in the notice was a date I had to respond by.

I almost fell for it.

However, I did not register my domain name through the company that sent the solicitation. After a careful reading of the mailing, I realized it was merely a cleverly disguised offer to transfer my domain name from my existing website host to this company. I had to respond by a certain date for their "best savings". When comparing these "best savings" rates to other hosting companies, I realized that these rates were not, by any means, competitive.

Before responding to any correspondence sent to you, make sure you carefully review the complete contents of the correspondence before responding - you may be giving your permission for a company to do something you do not want them to do.

Scott D. Wu is an attorney licensed to practice in California. His firm focuses on various aspects of business law, contract drafting and negotiation, family law, personal injury and real estate.

The information on this blog is not legal advice, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Legal questions should be directed to a lawyer of your own choosing.